Where: La Guajira, Colombia (11.9° N, 71.3° W: paleocoordinates 11.0° N, 67.6° W)
• coordinate stated in text
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Castilletes Formation, Early/Lower Miocene (23.0 - 16.0 Ma)
• formation-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: terrestrial; lithified, massive, gray mudstone and lithified, massive, gray, sandy mudstone
• The Castilletes Formation was deposited in a shallow marine (estuarine, lagoonal, and shallow subtidal) to fluvio-deltaic environment with strong fluvial influence.
• The formation is composed of grey massive mudstone, fossiliferous mudstone and siltstone, fossiliferous wackestone to packstone, and medium-grained to conglomeratic fossiliferous lithic to quartz sandstone. Thick successions of mudstone (~50 m) dominate the unit and form long valleys. Thin beds of biosparite and sandstone (50 cm to 2 m) are interbedded and form laterally extensive ridges. Sandstone often present planar and cross-bedded stratification. Sandy and silty facies increase toward the top of the formation, forming prominent hills. Fossiliferous horizons are common within the unit, with marine invertebrate fossils occurring in a broad range of facies (calcareous, sandy, silty, and muddy sediments), whereas terrestrial vertebrates tend to be restricted to muddy sediments and are often associated with freshwater invertebrate fossils. Sandy facies toward the top of the formation are also rich in vertebrate fossils.
Size class: macrofossils
Primary reference: J. F. Moreno, A. J. W. Hendy, L. Quiroz, N. Hoyos, D. S. Jones, V. Zapata, S. Zapata, G. A. Ballen, E. Cadena, A. L. Cardenas, J. D. Carrillo, J. D. Carrillo, D. Delgado-Sierra, J. Escobar, J. I. Martinez, C. Martinez, C. Montes, J. Moreno, N. Perez, R. Sanchez, C. Suarez and M. C. Valle. 2015. Revised stratigraphy of Neogene strata in the Cocinetas Basin, La Guajira, Colombia. Swiss Journal of Paleontology [C. Jaramillo/A. Cardenas /M. Vallejo]more details
Purpose of describing collection: general faunal/floral analysis
PaleoDB collection 166506: authorized by Carlos Jaramillo, entered by Andrés Cardenas on 16.02.2015
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)
Show authors, comments, and common names