Where: Devrekani, Turkey (41.7° N, 33.8° E: paleocoordinates 34.3° N, 29.5° E)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• small collection-level geographic resolution
When: Davutlar Formation, Late/Upper Maastrichtian (70.6 - 66.0 Ma)
• "The Davutlar formation lies conformably on the Middle–Upper Maastrichtian Tomalar formation and is conformably overlain by the Upper Paleocene–Eocene Gürleyikdere formation."
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marginal marine; lithified, nodular, silty, sandy limestone
Size class: macrofossils
• "remains of a large skull, including two maxillary fragments (right and left) with teeth, a partial left jugal, several isolated teeth and indeterminate bones, probably from the palate, preserved in several blocks as part and counterpart."
Collected by C. Tunoglu
Collection methods: quarrying, surface (in situ), mechanical, acetic,
Primary reference: N. Bardet and C. Tunoglu. 2002. The first mosasaur (Squamata) from the Late Cretaceous of Turkey. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 22(3):712-715 [M. Carrano/H. Street/P. Mannion]more details
Purpose of describing collection: general faunal/floral analysis
PaleoDB collection 96602: authorized by Matthew Carrano, entered by Hallie Street on 14.06.2010
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)