Where: Austria (48.2° N, 15.4° E: paleocoordinates 46.3° N, 14.2° E)
• coordinate stated in text
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Pielach Formation, Chattian (28.1 - 23.0 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHY: From the Pielach Formation, which unconformably overlies basement rock, and is overlain by the Melk Formation. AGE: Early Egerian age is inferred for the upper part of the Pielach Formation, based on its interfingering with the Melk and Linz Formations. Assigned here to Late Kiscellian-Early Egerian = Chattian. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From unknown position with formation.
• group of beds-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: lagoonal; poorly lithified, gray, green, blue, sandy mudstone
Size class: macrofossils
Reposited in the NHMW
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTORS: Lists obtained from previous accounts and material obtained from existing collections. REPOSITORY: Inst. of Pal. Vienna, Geol. Surv. Austria Vienna, and Mus. Nat. Hist. Vienna.
Primary reference: M. Harzhauser and O. Mandic. 2001. Late Oligocene gastropods and bivalves from the Lower and Upper Austrian Molasse Basin. Osterreichische Akademie der Wissenschaften, Schriftenreihe der Erdwissenschaftlichen Komimissionen 14:671-795 [A. Miller/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 77734: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 17.01.2008
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)