Alternative combinations: Mastodon matthewi, Miomastodon matthewi, Pliomastodon matthewi
Synonyms: Mammut nevadanus, Pliomastodon nevadanus , Pliomastodon sellardsi Simpson 1930, Pliomastodon vexillarius Matthew 1930
Full reference: H. F. Osborn. 1921. The evolution, phylogeny, and classification of the Proboscidea. American Museum Novitates 1:1-15
Sister taxa: Mammut americanum, Mammut borsoni, Mammut cosoensis, Mammut floridanum, Mammut furlongi, Mammut pacificus, Mammut raki, Mastodon rectus, Mastodon spenceri, Mammut mirificum, Mastodon (Tetralophodon), Mastodon bumiajuensis, Mastodon proavus
- Mammut matthewi: Its type locality is Aphelops Draw Quarries, which is in a Hemphillian terrestrial horizon in the Snake Creek Formation of Nebraska
- Mammut nevadanus: Its type locality is Thousand Creek, which is in a Hemphillian terrestrial horizon in Nevada.
- Pliomastodon sellardsi: UF/FGS 3822, a mandible. Its type locality is American Cyanimid Company, which is in a Serravallian marginal marine sandstone in the Peace River Formation of Florida.
- Pliomastodon vexillarius: Its type locality is North Dome (Pliomastodon Locality), which is in a Blancan terrestrial horizon in the San Joaquin Formation of California.
Ecology: ground dwelling browser
• Blancan of United States (1: California collection)
Total: 10 collections each including a single occurrence
Specimen images are retrieved through the ePANDDA API.
Click image to enlarge. Click to access iDigBio record.