Alternative combination: Osteoborus hilli
Synonyms: Borophagus crassapineatus Olsen 1956, Osteoborus crassapineatus Olsen 1956, Osteoborus progressus Hibbard 1944
Full reference: C. S. Johnston. 1939. Preliminary report on the late middle Pliocene, Axtel locality, and the description of a new member of the genus Osteoborus. American Journal of Science 237(12):895-898
Sister taxa: Borophagus diversidens, Borophagus dudleyi, Borophagus littoralis, Borophagus orc, Borophagus parvus, Borophagus pugnator, Borophagus secundus, Dinocyon (Borophagus) meandrinus, Osteoborus crassipinaetus, Porthocyon matthewi
- Borophagus hilli: Panhandle Plains Historical Museum No. 1558, a partial skull. Its type locality is Axtel, which is in a Hemphillian terrestrial horizon in Texas.
- Osteoborus crassapineatus:
- Osteoborus progressus: Its type locality is Saw Rock Canyon (Lower), which is in a Blancan terrestrial horizon in the Rexroad Formation of Kansas.
Ecology: ground dwelling carnivore
• Pliocene of United States (1: Florida)
• Miocene of United States (3: Florida)
Total: 17 collections each including a single occurrence
Specimen images are retrieved through the ePANDDA API.
Click image to enlarge. Click to access iDigBio record.