Where: Italy (46.0° N, 9.3° E: paleocoordinates 8.9° N, 20.5° E)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• local area-level geographic resolution
When: Perledo Member (Perledo-Varenna Formation), Longobardian (242.0 - 235.0 Ma)
• The precise age of these historical fossil collections from Perledo cannot be determined unequivocally today because precise stratigraphic and locality data are lacking. Tintori et al. (1985) noted that most of the historical fossil material appears to have been collected in the surroundings of the village of Perledo (i.e. in the upper part of the Calcare di Perledo, recognized as the Perledo Member of the Perledo-Varenna Formation, of upper Ladinian age (Gaetani et al. 1992).
• group of beds-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marine; lithified limestone
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by Lodovico Trotti
• Repository: Private collection ("Gabinetto di minerali e fossili") of Ludovico Trotti in S. Teresa. Possibly later donated to Museo Civico di Milano (MCSNM), but much of it was destroyed during the Second World War.
Primary reference: G. Balsamo-Crivelli. 1839. Descrizione d'un nuovo rettile fossile della famiglia dei Paleosauri, e di due pesci fossili trovati nel calcareo nero, sopra Varenna sul lago di Como, dal nobile sig. Lodovico Trotti, con alcune riflessioni geologiche. Il Politecnico 1:421-431 [M. Clapham/M. Clapham/M. Clapham]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 153404: authorized by Matthew Clapham, entered by Matthew Clapham on 14.12.2013
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)