Where: Bayern, Germany (48.9° N, 11.6° E: paleocoordinates 40.2° N, 19.7° E)
• coordinate estimated from map
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Painten Formation, Late/Upper Kimmeridgian (155.7 - 150.8 Ma)
• Malm Epsilon 2 (setatum subzone), Weissjura epsilon; listed as both Solnhofen Formation, and as Painten Fm./Schamhaupten Subformation, "Profilschicht E3". Beckeri zone, Ulmense subzone.
• group of beds-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: lagoonal or restricted shallow subtidal; cherty/siliceous lime mudstone and bindstone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: adpression, soft parts
Collected by H. Balzer, G. Viohl, U. Gerhard, M. Röper in 1988-1998
Collection methods: quarrying, surface (in situ), mechanical,
• collected by Jura Museum and University of Bonn. Taxa not separated into beds, but clearly there are differences in abundances between layers - could be separated into collections if future publications provide more info.
Primary reference: G. Arratia. 2000. Remarkable teleostean fishes from the Late Jurassic of southern Germany and their phylogenetic relationships. Mitteilungen aus dem Museum für Naturkunde in Berlin, Geowissenschaften Reihe 3:137-179 [M. Carrano/M. Carrano]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 59175: authorized by Matthew Carrano, entered by Kaitlin Maguire on 20.03.2006, edited by Matthew Carrano, John Alroy, Jonathan Tennant and Christina Feng
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)