Where: Solano County, California (38.2° N, 122.0° W: paleocoordinates 43.4° N, 101.0° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Martinez Formation, Thanetian (59.2 - 56.0 Ma)
• Most of the fossiliferous faunas in the sections near Martinez occur in the lower 800 ft thick sandstone unit. Mollusca suggest a "Martinez" stage age. Martinez local stage = Thanetian. The Martinez Formation rests with a slight unconformity on the Chico Formation and grades in Eocene shales. The formation is approximately 3100 ft thick with a 1500 ft lower sandstone unit and 1600 ft upper sandy shale, which is dated as Early Eocene.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: offshore; poorly lithified, medium-grained, coarse, glauconitic sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Collection methods: quarrying,
• Collected and identified by C.E. Weaver. Collections reposited in University of Washington collections.
Primary reference: C. E. Weaver. 1949. Geology of the coast ranges immediately north of the San Francisco Bay region, California. Geological Society of America Memoir 35 [A. Miller/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: biostratigraphic analysis
PaleoDB collection 52618: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 11.08.2005
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)