Where: Brown County, South Dakota (45.9° N, 98.7° W: paleocoordinates 50.3° N, 64.5° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• small collection-level geographic resolution
When: Virgin Creek Member (Pierre Shale Formation), Campanian (83.6 - 72.1 Ma)
• "probably from Virgin Creek member"
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marine; shale
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by J. Bump, H. Martin in 1945; reposited in the SDSM
• Most of the skull and jaw material had been dis-articulated and washed downstream by the time of discovery of the skeleton, but "some of the pieces were recovered from neighbors and other visitors who had taken home a souvenir of the beast."
Primary reference: H. Martin. 1953. Mosasaurus poultneyi a South Dakota mosasaur 1-65 [M. Carrano/H. Street]more details
Purpose of describing collection: general faunal/floral analysis
PaleoDB collection 107779: authorized by Matthew Carrano, entered by Hallie Street on 15.04.2011
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)